Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Hi

I need to include images and charts in my PDFs which are retrieved from a server that requires authentication.

The server is actually the same server as the one where the PDF generator is running, so the references to the images are relative and all the required authentication information is in the header of the initial request.

How do I include this header information in the requests for the images ?

Basically I think I need something like the PD4ML.setCookie() method, but for headers.

PD4ML.useHttpRequest() looked promising, but it doesn’t solve my problem.

Thanks for your help.
    Simon

PD4ML.setCookie() and PD4ML.useHttpRequest() is the right direction to solve the issue.

Does your application use JSESSIONID cookie to identify a session? If so, what do you pass to PD4ML.setCookie() as a parameter?

OK, a little more information about our environment.

We have Tivoli Access Manager (TAM) in front of Day Communique (CQ). TAM handles authentication, it validates login details and then sets a trusted header in the request that’s forwarded to CQ. If the header is set, CQ checks it matches a user account in that system and applies its own authorisation before serving the requested page.

The page doing the PDF generation resides on the CQ server, as do the images and chart servlet that I reference in the HTML I want to use to generate PDF.

The URLs in the HTML address the CQ server such that requests bypass TAM.

For this to work, the HTTP header containing the user authentication information needs to be included in the request that PD4ML makes to retrieve the images.

We don’t use JSESSIONID or cookies to identify the user to CQ, only .

Regards
    Simon

In regular non-PDF scenario, the image requests are initiated by a web browser after the main HTML page is loaded. So I do not think it uses any proprietary HTTP headers to identify a user/session. I would expect a very standard session ID propagation – via cookie (in HTTP header) or via URL string.

Try to dump HTTP headers (there are browser plugins or other tools for that) and determine the way it identifies a session.

In the regular non-PDF scenario you describe, consider when the site serving the HTML and images is protected using Basic Authentication. In that scenario after you’ve logged in to get the main HTML page, each request for the images contain the Authorization header with a value such as “Basic c2ltb246c2ltb24=”. It doesn’t use sessionids or cookies to identify the user.

In our scenario the Tivoli proxy in front of our application server adds the iv_user header to requests that are forwarded to the application server. The application server looks for that header to identify the user.

To get this to work with Flying Saucer / xhtmlrenderer I wrote a custom UserAgentCallBack which copied the request header from the initial request through to those being used to generate the PDF. This solved the authentication problem for both Basic Auth (as we have in our development environment) and for the custom Tivoli header we have in our production environment.

Is there a way to do something similar with PD4ML ?

Or, preferably, can PD4ML.useHttpRequest() be made to read the headers in the HTTP request provided and use them in requests being made by PD4ML to generate the PDF?

Regards
    Simon

Well, basic authentication is supported by PD4ML, so you may always use
    [language=java:3s5g2c6o]Map m = new HashMap();
    m.put(PD4Constants.PD4ML_BASIC_AUTHENTICATION, “login:password”);
    pd4ml.setDynamicParams(m);[/language:3s5g2c6o]
    and it is quite safe to use, as the base64-encoded password does not leave the server side in the scenario.

But the trick with iv-user HTTP header is still not clear to me. As I can imagine, MS Internet Explorer never sets such proprietary HTTP header. How does it request for images after HTML is loaded?

OK, in our development environment I can detect the presence of the Authorization header, base64 decode the username and password and then use PD4MLs support for basic authentication. It would be easier to just forward the Authorization header though. I need to use the identity of the user who made the original request as the images and charts are personalised. However, that doesn’t help me in our production environment.

You are correct that the browser does not set the iv-user header, as I said, it is the Tivoli Access Manager proxy server that does this. It’s quite standard practice for a security proxy to use such a header to pass information about authenticated users to an application server.

The browser maintains the session with the security proxy using a cookie.

I want PD4ML to send its requests for images directly from the application server to the application server, and not via the security proxy. There are several reasons for this, but mainly that there is no network path that allows a request from the application server out to the security proxy and back to the application server. Further, even if there was a such a network route sending the session cookie used between browser and security proxy would not work. It would not be a very good security solution if you could replay the cookie and get an authenticated session from a different client on a different host!

So, for this to work, I need to be able to forward headers recieved in the original HTTP request when requesting images etc. to be included in the PDF. If that’s not possible, then I’ll need to look at a different architecture.

Out of interest, what HTTP request context does PD4ML.useHttpRequest() transfer if it doesn’t include the HTTP headers ? Basically, what does it allow me to do that isn’t already covered by other methods such as PD4ML.useServletContext() and PD4ML.setCookie() ?

Regards
    Simon

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The forum ‘General questions / FAQ’ is closed to new topics and replies.